Please note: This is a contributed post. View full disclosure policy.
Improving your mental wellness is a great personal goal. Whether you’re feeling fine or struggling right now, most of us could all do with paying closer attention to our health and wellbeing. What works best for you may take some trial and error; there’s no one-size-fits-all method. To get started on boosting your mental wellness, consider any of these five ideas.
1 . Define Your Stressors
If you’re looking to improve your mental health, it helps to define your stressors. When we understand what stresses us out, it becomes far easier to create workable coping strategies. Whether you’re stressed out by work, relationships, or personal issues, take some time to figure out your biggest triggers. Doing so is the first step toward mental clarity.
2. Journal Your Mental Wellness Journey
Starting a journal is an amazing way to improve your mental wellness; there are so many wellbeing benefits, including:
- Express yourself honestly, without judgment (you don’t have to show anyone what you write)
- A therapeutic way to get difficult feelings off your chest
- An outlet to express gratitude and write happy memories
- Brainstorm your goals and work on strategies for progress
- Organize your thoughts and tasks if you struggle with motivation
The simplest way to start a journal is to purchase a journaling book and check out some journaling techniques online. (I like a plain, cheap composition notebook personally.) If you prefer a digital version with some guidance, try apps like Reflectly or Journey.
3. Add the Right Supplements to Your Diet
When we’re stressed, we need the right wellness healthcare supplements. There are many options to try whether you’re looking to improve your immune system or boost your mood. For a few supplements to de-stress, consider the following options:
- St John’s Wort: This supplement is made using a yellow-flowered plant of the same name. It is very popular with those who suffer from anxiety or stress. The active ingredient hyperforin works by interacting with our nervous system, producing a calming sensation.
- Passion Flower: This flowered plant is the perfect supplement for both sleep and stress. You can also buy passionflower in the form of herbal tea.
4. Start a Regular Yoga Routine
To improve your mental health, yoga is the best exercise you can do. As well as the physical benefits, yoga helps you to become calmer, ease symptoms of stress, and practical mindfulness. To start a yoga practice, try using applications like Daily Yoga or Glo. These tools cater to plenty of different levels, so are perfect for both beginners and advanced yogis. Whether you do your practice in the morning to help wake up, in the afternoon when you need a break, or in the evening to help you sleep, consistent yoga practice is good for the mind and body.
5. Make Small Changes for a Mood-Boosting Diet
The foods we eat have a huge impact on our mental health. When we eat a healthy and nutritious diet, we are far more likely to feel energetic, happy, and sleep well. What’s more, many foods have direct mood-boosting effects. For a few options, start off with these:
- Fish: To boost your mood, fish is one of the best foods you can eat! Several studies suggest that consuming fish can raise endorphin levels and improve cognitive function.
- Spinach: Spinach is another super healthy mood-boosting food, full of antioxidants and nutrients. When you eat spinach, you’ll reduce oxidative stress in your body.
Mental Wellness Resources
If you are in need of support, education, and resources, there are a number of emergency mental health hotlines available. Some of these resources are listed below. If you or someone you care about is having thoughts of suicide, call 911 for immediate help.
- Mental Health America Hotline: Text MHA to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
Please note: The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice, or as a substitute for the medical advice of a physician. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your health. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Site.
If you liked this post, share it with your friends!